Did you know that dogs need blood transfusions to help treat serious illnesses, just like people? Dogs need blood transfusions for many of the same reasons that people do, such as recovery from blood loss during trauma or some surgeries, to recover from some serious illnesses, and for acute issues such as heat stroke.
Your pet can help save lives by becoming a VMC Blood Hound!
Listed below are the requirements for canine blood donors:
• Your dog weighs at least 50lbs
• Your dog is between the ages of 1 – 7 years of age.
• Your dog is in good health
• Your dog is easy going and easy to handle at a veterinary office
• Your dog is current on Canine Rabies and Distemper/Parvo Vaccinations (vaccine records must be provided)
• Your dog is not receiving any medications
• Your dog receives yearly flea and tick preventative
• Your dog is spayed or neutered
If your dog meets these requirements, your dog can potentially be a VMC Blood Hound!
As a VMC Blood Hound Donor, your dog (and you!) will receive as a thank you:
Step 1: Complete Application Forms
Step 2: Temperament Screening
Eligible dogs will be invited to VMC by appointment for an initial assessment regarding ease of handling/temperament of the dog.
Step 3: Free Physical Exam and Blood Tests
1. Dogs from families who are dedicated to fulfilling the donation commitments and meet all the VMC Blood Hound requirements will have a complimentary physical examination.
2. If the dog is noted to be in good health, they will have their blood drawn for further blood testing. These tests will include a blood type, tests to look for underlying infection or organ disease, and tests for infections that can be transmitted through blood transfusions.
3. Owners will be notified of their dog’s blood work results and status as donor dogs.
Step 4: Donations
Dogs that pass all the requirements and are selected for the program will be invited to become a VMC Blood Hound. Most donations will need to be made on an Emergency basis and can be as often as every 2-3 months. We will do our best to contact you in a timely manner. However, since emergency need of blood transfusions cannot be predicted, we may ask you to come in to have donations done on nights, weekends, and holidays.
We had so much fun on Sunday at the Canine Carnival! We helped dozens of doggies cool off in our doggy pool and with some tasty (to dogs!) sno-cones. We heard lots of dogs were adopted thanks to the record-breaking crowd.
Thank you to everyone who came out.
Check out the photos from the event on our Facebook page
And don’t forget to LIKE us while you’re there!
Smiles and sno-cones aside, we did have to put on our Emergency hats for some not-so-fun business: the business of helping our pets feel better. We were lucky to have some of our best emergency folks right there to help a couple dogs who had a hard time with the heat. They knew just what to do!
We hope you’re all feeling better!
3nd Annual Canine Carnival
New location, Live concert, Red Cross Blood Drive and more…
Canine Carnival 2012 is on the way with even more animals and fun things to do including a live concert. The date is Saturday August 4th 10am to 4pm at a new location, Longbranch Park in Liverpool.
Admission is FREE. It will be held rain or shine. We encourage everyone to bring your pets.
Last years Canine Carnival event was another incredible success with more than 50 vendors and animal rescues represented, food, music, 6000 people attending and best of all, more than 100 dogs finding good homes. Our new location features much greater parking capacity with many additional vendors and rescues being represented.
Along with the live concert at 2pm, other new features this year include a Red Cross Blood Drive on site, dog washing & grooming, a Kids Play area and Sports Zone featuring local sports teams. Horse carriage rides around the park will be available. Spay & Neuter Syracuse (SANS) will offer micro- chipping for your pet. Veterinary Medical Center of CNY will have an emergency triage center on site for your pets.
Proceeds from the Canine Carnival go to the Priscilla Mahar Animal Welfare Foundation who has donated nearly $30,000 to animal welfares and rescues in central NY.
VMCCNY is proud to sponsor this event and look forward to seeing you there!
“Thank you all for taking such wonderful care of our “little guy” Bently over the past few days while he got back on his feet again! Your knowledge, kindness and compassionate nature helped to make our medical emergency much easier to bear. We truly appreciate all that you did to help Bently enjoy the rest of his summer!”